Quad Dipsea

I was expecting the Quad Dipsea to be epic, but definitely not the way that it unfolded for me. I started off decent and did the double in 1:57:30 but never felt strong like usual. I don’t know exactly where to attribute the weakness. Maybe hitting the first flights of steps too hard. Maybe the cool air chilling my core. Maybe the rigors of the toughest course I have ever run – 28.4 miles and 9,200 feet of elevation gain with thousands of steps to run up and down. Or maybe the sore throat I have had the past two mornings were more ominous than I thought. Who knows, and it doesn’t matter much now. Either way, I wasn’t feeling good prior to finishing up the double (half way), but thought maybe it could be a “phase” of doing the Quad.

Things turned for the worse at the turnaround point at the start/finish when my body (specifically head) unraveled and the chips fell hard. I got very dizzy and the spins were awful. My legs were ok but it felt like my heart was pumping in my brain. I seriously considered stopping here but went on. By the time I reached the cardiac aid station on the third leg I thought I had reached my end. The headache was worse and I was left wondering how I could feel so helpless. However, I have never quit a race so it was relatively easy for the aid station crew to convince me to continue. It’s tough to say “continue” because I was out of the mindset and out of hope for recovery. I was reduced to hiking a huge chunk of the remainder of the course, including the entire way from Stinson Beach to just before Muir Woods. The dizziness was finally curbed by lots of electrolyte drink and soup in the finish tent. Big thanks to the finish tent crew for taking care of me.

Ok, I’m going to stop lamenting because in my mind, the race is already behind me. It sucked, I was miserable, it was a bad race – oh well, time to move on and gather the lessons learned. There will be many more opportunities…

Other than my regrettable experience, the day was filled with many dazzling performances, including Erik Skaggs breaking Carl Andersen’s longstanding course record by 13 seconds coming in at 3:52:16. Erik’s performance was magnificent and I can only imagine the potential for him on this course if there is somebody close by to push him (if there is such a person? or a reason for him to return?).


6 Comments Add yours

  1. Craig Stern says:

    Leor: sorry to see you suffering so much today. You sure looked good during the 1st half. I posted a bunch of photos from the Quad at:

    A few good ones of you too…

  2. kate says:

    good job, Leor- you beat a lot of us by hours. It IS a hard course. It was my first ultra 4 years ago, and I keep coming back. Great aid stations, great runners on the trail.

  3. Andy Benkert says:

    Way to work through it, Leor. That’s a tough combo of things to deal with, especially sore throat, the cold and dizziness. I hope you’ll give it a go again, as I think you can provide some of that motivation for Eric that you mentioned.

  4. Mark Tanaka says:

    I saw your splits. Remembering how fast and strong you looked early, I figured something BAD had happened towards the end. Being sick is more than excusable. It’s cool as an elite that you stuck it to the end.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s